One of the projects where I work currently has been identified as a good possibility to have a mobile application made for it, so today I decided to take it upon myself to plan out how the application would look and work.
And let me say, I’m glad that I was using Balsamiq mockups to do it with.
For those that aren’t familiar with this software, Balsamiq mockups allows you to quickly piece together a design for your application, in a manner that’s quick and easy to display to those that would be deciding its fate. Saves on waiting for weeks for designers to create super fancy mockups, or doing it by pen and paper (which never looks good, especially on a cocktail napkin…..dont’ ask). Within one day I had the entire application laid out, which consisted of roughly 15-20 screens, including notes for each one, and I must say it doesnt’ look too shabby.
For those reading in the interwebz, I’ll let you know how it goes.
And what a journey it was.
After four months of study, coding and learning a language almost from scratch again, the end of my BlackBerry course is at an end this evening with the completion of my final project. Id’ say after four months, it was a journey well traveled. Learned a few new things, and even found that the talk that smartphones might one day supplant PC’s could have a bit of teeth to it. Always good to have these coding skills in your back pocket. The app that I’ve done isn’t all that interesting, at least in my opinion, but you’ve got to start somewhere, and it’s a feather in the ole cap.
As for the course itself, I found it pretty enjoyable. Had some cards for classmates that made things pretty interesting and fun, and probably the first teacher that I actually enjoyed learning from since college (I’ll let you guess how long ago that was) doesnt’ hurt either. Overall a good time and would recommened UPEI to add it to their cirrculum full time. It was good to get back to doing some Java based coding, being something that I kept saying that I wanted to do for eight years now.
Now if only RIM would make some development plugins that weren’t OS specific and didn’t suck ass, we’d be on to something here.
With the blackberry course that I’m currently taking coming to a close soon, I’m working on the final project that will pretty much decide if I pass or fail. In it I’m designing buttons that will be uniform across the application, with the same look, size, font, colour, etc… However one issue that I found after creating the customButtonField is that it was giving a grey box behind the button that I had created, like so…
So how to fix it? Well after scouring the internet looking for a solution to this issue, and finding my googlefu to be weak…..or no-one having done this before), I found that the culprit was just a simple fix. How simple?
Changing this -> public class CustomButtonField extends ButtonField
…into this ->public class CustomButtonField extends Field
Now for those folks that have touched java more then once in the last eight years, I’m sure your’e getting a “wtf” moment, but for noobs such as myself, here’s the explanation that I received on why this happened. When extending the ButtonField class, you also inherit the default formatting that comes with that class, which includes that lovely “ring around the collar” look. While I’m sure there’s a way to override it anyways, having the class just extend Field gets rid of all that additional that the ButtonField class filled in for you, and turns your ugly buttons into something clean, like so.
If only all UI issues were this easy….